Miscellaneous » I Want To... » Get a Work Permit

Get a Work Permit

Minors under 16 years old must obtain a work permit before beginning a job. This includes home-schoolers. They must get a new permit every time they begin a new job until they reach 16 years old, even if they work for their parents.
 In order to apply for a work permit, the minor must be:
   1. enrolled in school 
   2. not habitually truant or under suspension; and
   3. passing a majority of courses during  the current grading period.
Employers must have a stamped, approved work permit on file before allowing any minor under 16 years old to work. 
Process for applying:
  • Bring all required information (below) to the MDIRSS Superintendent’s Office, located in the same building as Mount Desert Island High School.
  • Fill out the application, which requires a birth parent signature.
  • Once the application is complete, the superintendent’s office will submit the application to the Department of Labor Standards for approval.
  • Once the Department of Labor Standards has approved the permit, the Superintendent’s Office will forward it to the employer.
  • A minor may not start working until the employer has received an approved work permit from the Department of Labor Standards.
Information required to complete the application: 
  • Town and State where the minor was born
  • Name and industry of business where the minor will be working
  • Email address, mailing address and phone number of the business
  • Name of contact person at the business
  • Specific description of what the minor will be doing (washing dishes, cashier, bagging groceries, etc.)

For more specific information, please check the Maine Department of Labor Standards website: https://www.maine.gov/labor/labor_laws/minorsguide/